Monday 29 December 2014

The Sleigh Landed - The Main Present...

During the stalk of Tonje's blog I found a kindred spirit...Dr Who! Combined with her love of mug rugs that sent me scurrying into the sewing room to create her very own...
 TARDIS!
The background/backing fabric reminded me of flying about in space/time

It was SO. Much. Fun. building a TARDIS...I just may need one for myself...guess I've just outed myself there (says the person streaming Dr Who on iView while writing the blog post!) *LOL*

Having started with an "extra" and with the ornament made that left the main present...what to make what to make...

Then I remembered a bag pattern from Jodie Carleton at a Daylesford Craft Experience event. The pattern stitchery detail wasn't matching the picture in my head...To The World Wide InterWebs and a Google image search!!!!...turning up the perfect embroidery design here. A rummage through the surprise filled "uncategorised could be anything" embroidery floss box unearthed a purple variegated, no label, could be cottage garden, threadworx or anything of that ilk, floss that yelled out rather loudly that it wanted to play along...
I kept the Work In Progress words and just replaced the pattern stitchery with the work basket design...
Work in Progress bag...I used stiff bag batting as Tonje does a bit of knitting and I wanted it to stand up so she could leave her yarn ball in the bag and knit away...and a black background with little squares of colours fabric for the lining for more interest than a flat black or solid colour fabric...
The whole parcel...I added a 2015 Calendar of Australian wildflowers...

I really enjoyed making these projects, I hope Tonje enjoys using them.

Now to wait for SSCS 2015! No pressure there Chooky! *LOL*

Happy Stitching

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Annette you put together an awesome parcel,well done.xx

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Very nice! I love that bag!

Jo said...

I like the WIP stitchery & bag. Good thoughtful gifts. Well done

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely gifts for Tonje..........

Susan said...

Love the thought that went into your gifts, so personal. I am not a Whovian, but the Tardis is amazing, you will have to make one for yourself.

elliek said...

No shame in being an afficianado of Dr Who! Love the mug rug and everything you put in. Well done.

Mistea said...

Sweet pressies you put together there.
That looks like a perfect baggy for keeping things together for a little creating outing.

Maria said...

Such a lovely lot of gifts you made, Annette...I absolutely adore the TARDIS rug mug...fabulous idea.